Monday, January 11, 2010

Sweet Annie

This waif of a dog was one of 80 rescued from the puppy mill between North Platte and Hershey just about two weeks ago. She arrived at our house the day after the bust and became Annie. The rescuerers said Annie wasn't socialized - that would become known as an understatement! Annie had probably known only one person and that person hadn't been nice to her. At our home, Annie hid behind the waste basket, sat with her face in the wall, cowered and was afraid of noises. She tensed up if we tried to touch her. She'd never been inside. How do you teach a 4-5 year old dog that people are good? The answer? You think like a dog and you act like a dog so she will feel more comfortable.

Now, some won't be at all surprised that I could think and act like a dog and others will decide I'm over-the-top insane. The first couple days all we did was meet Annie's physical needs such as food, water and shelter. Then I started spending time laying on the floor near her bed. She didn't seem as afraid if I was low to the ground. Annie began letting me pet her and slowly she seemed to like the touch even though she looked away and avoided all eye contact. A few days later, I crawled into Annie's bed. She was okay with that. Annie's eyes seemed dull and sad. I was sure she needed happiness in her life. My goal is to teach her to have fun. I want her to learn how to enjoy. One morning I was on the floor on my hands and knees and I bent my arms, put my head down and my butt in the air like a dog who was signaling wanting to play. I said Annie's name repeatedly in a soft voice and Annie came toward me! She sniffed my head, we nuzzled noses and Annie wagged her tail before hustling back to her bed. Ah, progress.

Last week, Annie made an unplanned trip to the vet and she was diagnosed anemic and she was having liver problems. She was put on IVs and the time it took for her to have a saline drip gave Bob and me the chance to visit with the vet about helping Annie. We've been told not to expect noticible social improvement too quickly and not to overwhelm her. Giving birth to her new family over the weekend put us back a bit, but Annie's coming out of her shell. She wags everyday and today she barked for me to come see her. When I went to her she approached and wanted to be petted! Annie's being taught love and she's responding. :)

Daughter Molly created my blog so that I could share with you all the fun of dog chaos. I hadn't intended to write the following, but Molly said my friends and family would want to know. Last night, one of Annie's precious puppies died from respiratory failure. He was the first of Annie's puppies to be born and he was the first foster puppy we've lost. There have been lots of tears and sadness today but somehow, when I look at Annie and her other eight beautiful puppies I can accept that life is fragile and we were blessed to have Little Boy in our lives even for a short 36 hours.

We'll have to wait to see what tomorrow brings in the World of Dog!

4 comments:

  1. Annie's pix are precious. Your blog is helpful and I am so happy she is responding to positive human contact. I hope Bob can get a pic of you with your butt in the air sometime. Next time add a wiggle (Please draw the line at eating dog food--some things dogs need to figure out for themselves!!) Bow Wow, Woof Woof*

    *See you tomorrow and love you lots!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what my mom didnt add - she has rescued a total of 52 dogs and their pups and has lost only one...considering the horrible conditions the dogs have been in when they arrived at the mayber marriott, that is pretty amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog, Jo. I too would like to see a pic of you with your butt in the air talking to Annie. Annie, you have a beautiful family
    and a great new Mom of your own. Way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are days I would love to be a mouse in the Mayber garage just to see what will happen next.

    When I die I want to come back as a Mayber dog. A spayed one, no puppies.

    The hardest part of being a foster parent is letting go. Lots of bittersweet tears.

    ReplyDelete