Sunday, January 17, 2010

Sunny Side Up

I just went to look at the puppies and Annie. One of the little boys was laying on his back, tummy-side up and basking in the sunshine. It's just the perfect Sunday afternoon activity - napping in the warmth of the sun pouring in through the window. To celebrate their one week birthday yesterday, we had a weigh-in. Most of the puppies have doubled their weight in their week of life. The vet suggested buying a food scale to monitor the puppies' weight - they've already outgrown the 16-ounce scale.

I mentioned previously that Annie's puppies were born by Caesarean but I didn't tell you that I helped with the delivery! The whole thing was so unplanned for a Saturday at the clinic because there was only one veterinarian and two techs working. When Annie needed surgery, the vet asked if we (Friend Levaun was with me) had ever seen a Ceacerean and of course we hadn't. The vet said we were going to help! Suddenly things got very busy and fast paced. The vet explained what I needed to do to aggressively rub/clean the puppies to start curculation and how to shake (literally) breath into them. Quickly. She sedated Annie, prepared her for surgery and we were ready for the puppies. The puppies started coming and coming and coming. At one point, I asked how many there were and the tech said she quit counting at six! Oh, dear, this isn't what Iwanted for rescue puppies! With a litter of rescue puppies, you hope for a small litter because of the difficulty of finding good adoptive homes. Finally, all the puppies had arrived. Nine beautiful, squeaking, squirming puppies! The experience of seeing the surgery, helping with newborn puppies and witnessing the flawlessness of the veterinarian and techs is something I will remember for a long time. It was a privilige to be part of it.

Several people have commented they've enjoyed reading about the dogs and puppies. I asked Husband Bob if he'd read any of my dog blog. He hasn't. Why? "Because I live it everyday!" :)

2 comments:

  1. Wow, What an experience. Such cute babies. If I
    was closer I would come help feed them and I'm a cat person! Keep posting pics and these great stories. We are all enjoying them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How COOOOOOL! I always thought it would be even more exciting to be on the "other side" of birth. Wow, no time to back out either! They are sweet and so is the blog-keep mothering and writing!
    Love,RR

    ReplyDelete