Saturday, February 27, 2010

Night Owls

When Sister Robin, Brother Chris, Brother George and I were kids, our parents called us Night Owls when we preferred nighttime over day. Last night there were several Night Owls at our house. The puppies were yipping and yapping into the wee hours with no sign of sleep coming. I woke up again at 2:30 and there were still noisy puppies. Poor Annie, she can't escape the puppies.

When the puppies were first born we made their bed in a plastic pool. At three weeks, the family moved into a 4' x 5' pen and by five weeks they were running all over their 7' x 9' pen. A couple days ago the puppies s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d onto their tippy toes and pull themselves over the top of the pen to freedom. We had to nail a board around the walls of the pen to keep the puppies inside when we aren't home. Dear Bob, it's been 8 weeks since he's been able to park his SUV in the garage and I haven't heard any complaining even though I know he doesn't like scraping windshields and getting into a cold vehicle every morning.

Time's passed quickly since the puppies were born 7 weeks ago. They've become independent and curious and are almost ready to go to their own homes. I caution people that when they come to pick up their puppy not to worry if they see me cry. I try not to, but the tears usually come freely. I'm sorry to let the sweethearts go but it's a happy time to know they are starting their new lives. I think my tears are a combination of joy and sadness.

I look forward to spending more one-on-one time with Annie and I know she's going to progress in socializing and confidence. Things are much better than two months ago but there is a long way to go to get Annie out from her corner. Last night Annie went into the backyard. She was afraid at first but when Jasmine, Maggie, Brandy and Pennie followed, it seemed to help. The vet estimated Annie to be four or five years old and she has a big world ahead to discover.

Yesterday at the dog park Maggie and Jas found the scent of a rabbit. They followed the trail around in the snow and really thought they were onto something. When the tracks took Maggie and Jas to the fence, (I could see where the rabbit had slipped underneath) you could see the disappointment that the wild hunt was over. It didn't last long; off to the next venture - chasing the tennis ball, rolling in the snow, sniffing butts. Oh, it's a dog's life!

No comments:

Post a Comment